Introduction to Stage Combat Workshop
>> 2017 NSCW Registration Deadline is Monday, April 17th!! <<
Introduction to Stage Combat is a fast-paced, three-week intensive program that focuses on familiarizing students with the essential requirements for performing safe, effective stage combat. Students will learn to perform fundamental techniques in the eight basic “fight” disciplines recognized by the Society of American Fight Directors. Although these classes cover SAFD basic skills, and renewal testing is available for those who qualify, Introduction to Stage Combat does not offer SAFD skills testing.
The emphasis is on the development of technique and the process of the work rather than the performance. Focusing on accuracy, safety, and the fundamental techniques needed to protect the actor and their instrument when engaged in dramatic physical encounters, the summer intensive provides opportunities to explore and develop these important skills. Students will be in class at least six hours a day, five days a week.
Each day typically begins with an appropriate physical warm-up, followed by classes in two disciplines in the morning and two further disciplines each afternoon. Related films and additional workshops by guest artists are a unique feature of this program. All of this requires a considerable amount of discipline, commitment, flexibility and stamina from all participants. Based on application materials, students will be placed into appropriate class groupings that will offer their best potential of growth and development. All High School applicants must be over 15 and have completed 9th grade. Swords, daggers and all other required theatrical weapons will be provided, in class, for each student.
- June 18th - July 8th, 2017
Tuition and Fees
- Introduction to Stage Combat (ISC - High School) - Register Online for Introduction to Stage Combat-High School- opens in new tab, then SEARCH "Stage Combat"
- ON-CAMPUS Rate (includes Room and Board) - $2539.00
- COMMUTER Rate (NO Room and Board) - $1426.00
- Introduction to Stage Combat (ISC - College/Adult) - Register Online for Introduction to Stage Combat - Adult- opens in new tab, then SEARCH "Stage Combat"
- ON-CAMPUS Rate (includes Room and Board) - $2699.00
- COMMUTER Rate (NO Room and Board) - $1595.00
- Tuition scholarships available for all SAFD members!
Important note: All high school students are required to live on campus, unless they live with parents or legal guardians within commuting distance of the school. High school students are housed in residence halls in one area of campus; while high school graduates and college students live in another area of campus. Men and women are housed separately in all cases. All students living on campus are required to be on the meal plan; there are no exceptions. If you have questions regarding room and board, contact the UNCSA Office of Residence Life at (336) 770-3280.
- Minimum age is 15 (must have completed 9th grade).
- Previous drama, acting and/or stage combat experience is not essential.
- High School Student: Two (2) letters of recommendation; one from a dramatic arts teacher and one from an academic teacher or guidance counselor indicating the student’s maturity level.
- College Student /Professional: One (1) letter of recommendation from either a dramatic arts teacher or theatre professional that supports the student’s desire and ability to pursue training in stage combat.
- A one-page statement of why you wish to attend the Summer Session in Stage Combat.
All 2017 applications need to be received by The University of North Carolina School of the Arts no later than Monday, April 17th, 2017.
- Potential students must fill out and mail in an application to be considered.
- Pay thru the Online Registration Portal - OR - Pay over the Phone with a CREDIT CARD: 336-734-2848
- If you need an application mailed to you, or if you have questions about the application and admissions process, please contact the NCSA admissions office at:
University of North Carolina - Educational Outreach and Summer Programs
For Additional Information:
- Contact Christina Traister, NSCW Coordinator
- Dale Girard, Director of Stage Combat Studies, at email@example.com
- Telephone: 630.290.5007